Saturday, April 7

Calico Beans

I first tasted this yummy side-dish when I was visiting my parents in South Dakota this past New Years weekend. My mom had made these beans to go with the broasted chicken we were having & got the recipe out of one of her church community cookbooks - which usually contain some pretty awesome recipes by the way. They were SO good & can't wait to make them again for a "potluck" or during our next cul-de-sac get together!



Calico Beans

1 lb hamburger
1 sm-med onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 T vinegar
1 can red beans, drained 
1 can pork & beans, do not drain
1 can kidney bean, drained
1 can butter beans, drained
1/2 lb bacon
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp mustard
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 cup water

Brown hamburger & onion together. In a separate pan, cook bacon. Drain meat & bacon grease. Crumble bacon into bite sized pieces. Mix all ingredients together in crock-pot & cook on low for 4-6 hours.

2 comments:

Keri said...

Heather, are these the beans that Jill always serves?

Heather said...

Keri - I think it is similar but not her recipe exactly. I'm pretty sure Jill doesn't put hamburger in hers!